Masters Programme, Department of Global Health
HEALTH INNOVATION COURSE (MSc)
Three policies of the School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health
TMGH selects students who possess the following qualifications ; :
- Having fundamental knowledge and skills necessary to acquire master’s level of research and practical ability in each course in the Global Health (knowledge level)
- Having an aspiration to contribute to the progress in Global Health. (mission and mental level).
- Having the ability and flexibility to work as a member of an international team with leadership and followership in cooperation with various fields after obtaining a master’s degree (sociality, internationality and ability level).
TMGH composes a curriculum that equips students with basic knowledge of tropical medicine, global health and related practical sciences, with specialized expertise in any of them, and with problem-solving skills in the field.
- In addition to letting the students learn the basics of Global Health, we will set up Introduction to Global Health Modules in order to let them understand the outline of each Module Group and module set in Advanced Modules.
- Teaching the basics of epidemiology and statistics, research design and research ethics, and making students master the specialized basics related to the promotion of research in the master’s programme, we will establish Research Methods Modules with the aims of securing the students the ability to create a final master’s thesis (or research report on a specific subject).
- To ensure the specialty of each course, we will set up Advanced Modules that arranges seven module groups: Epidemiology/ Statistics, Environment/ Sanitation, International Community Health, Scientific Basis of Tropical Medicine, Social/ Behavioral Science, Clinical Tropical Medicine, and Health Policy/ Management that compose the global health field.
- In order to provide guidance from the preparation of the research plan to the implementation of the research plan and the creation of the master’s thesis (or research report on the specific subject), we will conduct a global health exercise and provide research guidance. In the Tropical Medicine Course, the students will study overseas clinical and clinical epidemiology in a global health exercise.
- We will set up Global Health Seminar as a three-course co-learning seminar in order for three courses of students to jointly learn specialized knowledge of important topics in the field of global health and to cultivate comprehensive thinking ability and debate ability.
- In the Health Innovation Course, Health Innovation Tutorial will be set up in order to carry out themed exercises in the first and second years under the guidance of the supervisor. The theme of the tutorial is selected from 5 themes: basic/applied medical science, vector ecology, epidemiology/group health, health informatics, health social science/social engineering.
- In the International Health Development Course, short-term field training will be provided in the first year, and long-term overseas training will be provided in the second year.
- In order to unify students with different backgrounds and work experiences at a high level so that they can study Research Methods Modules and Advanced Modules, bachelors from the humanities and social sciences departments will receive Basic Human Biology as one of Introduction to Global Health Modules. In addition, we will guarantee the quality of education and the level of academic achievement by providing many supplementary lectures such as international communication, IT equipment, and basic statistics.
We aim to nurture professionals with a global perspective who can contribute to the health and happiness of people around the world. The following four aspects summarize the key capabilities of students once they fulfill the requirements of a master’s degree at TMGH.
Students develop skills and expertise in tropical medicine, global health, and health innovation and have the capacity to use these skills.
- Communication and Teamwork
Students have a broad and fundamental knowledge of global health allowing them to communicate with various professionals in English in order to solve global health challenges.
Students will have knowledge, skills, professionalism, and fortitude. They will be highly advanced professionals who can contribute to the advancement of global health.
- Leadership and Followership
Students possess the aforementioned capabilities as well as demonstrate leadership and followership qualities to fulfill their responsibility as members of an international and integrated global health team.
Duration: Two Years
Academic degree conferred : Master of Science in Global Health and Medicine
・Short field-trip abroad (optional)
– 24 credits from compulsory modules (24 modules)
– 6 credits from elective modules (6 modules)
– successful completion of a Master’s Thesis (project report)
– final examination
– Bachelor’s degree from a recognized education institution (university, nursing school, etc.)
– work experience (in Japan or abroad)
– community service experience (volunteer)
*Students who do not satisfy these requirements may still be admitted based on their academic qualifications and work experience.
Please refer to the following for the criteria required for completion and the content of the module.
ABOUT HEALTH INNOVATION SEMINARS
Students will select 1 out of the 5 topics below and develop the ability as a researcher to apply basic and applied science to global health issues:
Basic and Applied Medical Sciences
Epidemiology/Group Health Science
Health/Disease Information Science
Medical Social Technology
MAJOR APPLIED MODULE GROUPS
After choosing a topic from the first column, select the “Applied Subjects” in accordance to one’s background and future career path with guidance and advice from a mentor or a person of authority on the subject.
Basic Tropical Medicine Module
・ Pathogenic Microbiology Ⅰ ・ Pathogenic Microbiology Ⅱ
・ Pathogenic Microbiology Ⅲ ・ Immunology
・ Biotechnology ・ Pathology
To understand the basic medical aspects of infectious diseases in the field of tropical medicine.
Clinical Tropical Medicine Module
・ Clinical Tropical Medicine (by organ)
・ Clinical Tropical Medicine (by region)
To learn the various treatments and skills of diagnosing tropical diseases from a clinical point of view, focusing on tropical infectious diseases.
Epidemiology and Statistics Module
・ Epidemiology Ⅱ
・ Statistics Ⅱ
To develop the ability of teaching or researching in global health using more sophisticated, multivariate analysis techniques in epidemiology and statistics.
Global Environment and Hygiene Module
・ Zoological hygiene
To develop the ability of teaching or researching in global health using more sophisticated environment and hygiene knowledge.
International Community Health Module
・Reproductive Health / Gender I
・Reproductive Health / Gender II
・Child Health I, Child Health II, Community Health I and Nutrition
・Community Health II, Emergency Relief I and Emergency Relief II
This module is designed for students to acquire the necessary knowledge needed to understand global health issues from a community health perspective.
Social and Behavioral Science Module
・Health Promotion I
・Health Promotion II
・Medical Anthropology I and Medical Anthropology II
・Social Research (quantitative), Social Research (qualitative) and Demography
・Social Science for Research in Global Health
This module is designed to provide students with a social point of view on health issues.
Health Policies and Management Module
・Health Economics, Health System/Policy I, Project/Program Management I
・Foreign Aid Theory I, Financial Administration of Health, Development & Economics, Health System/Policy II and Foreign Aid Theory II
・Project /Program Management II (case study) and Social Entrepreneur
This module is designed so that students can acquire the knowledge needed in order to offer solutions to various global health issues.
|A hot summer delays the population peak of Aedes albopictus in Tokyo||Prof. Noboru Minakawa|
Messages from Graduates
REGISTRATION MODELS (Examples)
Registration Model 1
Registration Model 2
Registration Model 3
Registration Model 4
Registration Model 5