A 2-week practical clinical and public health tropical medicine course in the Philippines comprising bedside teaching, laboratory practical’s, lectures, discussion and community fieldwork. Intake quota is limited to 24 students with priority given to current or graduated DTM&H students.
Aims & objectives
The course aims to improve skills in diagnosis, management and prevention of diseases in tropical countries where resources may be limited.
Specific objectives include to:
• Gain clinical exposure, discuss diagnosis and management in primary and secondary care settings
• Learn about the public health system and disease control programmes
• Discuss clinical and global health issues with a diverse international group of students and faculties
The course is linked with the Master of Tropical Medicine (MTM) and the Professional Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H) courses at the School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health (TMGH) at Nagasaki University. The Philippines Tropical Medicine course runs immediately after the DTM&H course.
Week 1 (Manila):
⚬ Bedside teaching (infectious diseases, tropical dermatology)
⚬ Clinical lectures
⚬ Urban primary care
Week 2 (Leyte):
⚬ Bedside teaching
⚬ Maternal, neonatal and child health
⚬ Schistosomiasis disease control
⚬ Rural primary care
⚬ Response to natural disasters
Medical doctor with 2 years work experience.
(Target audience: Doctors with a recognised medical qualification. Preference given to doctors intending to work in Asia who have completed the DTM&H course.)
【English language requirements】
Good standard of written and spoken English
Manila and Tacloban (Leyte), Philippines
Course dates 2024:
June 17-28, 2024
200,000 Yen (2023 fee)
In addition to the course fee, participants need to organise and pay for the following items:
- Accommodation in Manila and Tacloban
- Health insurance
- Vaccinations as required
- Visa fees (as required)
By the end of April (TBC).
Students are responsible for obtaining any visa or other permissions to attend the course and are encouraged to start the application process as early as possible. The course administration can provide supporting documentation if requested
Certificate in Tropical Medicine (CTM)
A 6-month part-time online tropical medicine course. Students can attend live online lectures or access lecture recordings and other materials in their own time through the online learning system according to their preference. The course includes most of the sessions from the DTM&H course. For further details see the course information page.
An 11-week full-time tropical medicine course. Students attend the course in-person in Nagasaki, Japan. For further details see the course information page.
Key differences of tropical medicine courses
|Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H)||Certificate in Tropical Medicine (CTM)||Philippines Tropical Medicine Course|
|Intensity||Full time||Part time||Full time|
|Duration||11-weeks||6 months||2 weeks|
Feedback from the 2023 course
• The course is a great opportunity to enter a health system situated in a tropical region which is developing a universal health coverage improving local and tertiary level hospitals
• Wonderful experience!
• Totally recommended experience, especially after DTM&H course. Useful to consolidate information learned theoretically during the course, seeing real life scenarios. Useful clinical case discussion during the rotations.
• Very thought-provoking.I was impressed by all things I met during this course.
• Very intense comprehensive course, the experience of visiting DOH facility in Manila to BHS in rural Leyte was super valuable.
• overall, it was a great experience. learning and having fun at the same time. exposure to cases and communities specially in a resource limited setting made us reflect on these situations and taught us how to manage patients in times like this. the course taught us a lot in terms of recognizing and management of some tropical disease illness. it also showed us the difference in management if you come from a resource limited setting vs a setting where resources are enough
• The Philippines Tropical Medicine Course exceeded my expectations. It was such a good opportunity to put what I’d learned in the DTM&H into practice, a chance to meet new doctors from around the world, and a really fun two weeks in the Philippnes – highly recommended!!
• Thank you very much to the organizers! We had a great time while learning . It opened our eyes and inspired us to continue what we do best there is so much to be done we may just be little but we can do big things if we pull it up together let’s make a difference and ensure the world to make a better place to live in thank you very much!
Photos from previous courses