Admission FAQ for Master’s Courses

To Qualify for the Entrance Examination

Q1. Can Liberal Arts Students sit the exam?

Yes. Liberal Arts Students and non-medical students may sit the entrance exam for the International Health Development Course and the Health Innovation Course, but admission criteria for the Tropical Medicine Course requires prospective students to be doctors. Please see our website for further details about each course’s requirements.

Q2. Are there any advantages or disadvantages in being a recent graduate or a mature student where the International Health Development Course and the Health Innovation Course are concerned?

No. Selection will be based on a comprehensive appraisal of the entrance examination and the student’s application documents. Nevertheless, it is thought that those who already have practical experience before entering the university are at an advantage in terms of understanding classes and when job hunting.

Q3. Can a vocational school graduate sit the entrance examination?

Although they cannot take the Tropical Medicine Course, which requires the student to be a doctor with two years or more clinical experience, they may take the International Health Development Course and the Health Innovation Course entrance exams. However, if the following criteria applies to prospective students, they must undergo a preliminary screening interview before the entrance exams: the student is a two-year college or vocational college graduate; or, conversely they graduated from a university in a foreign country where the school education system is less than 16 years.

Q4. I was previously screened for eligibility and found “qualified”. Should I go through the application eligibility screening again for examination this year?

If you have been certified as “qualified” within the past 5 years, you do not need to undergo another screening. However, for those who were screened for eligibility to apply for the Special Entrance Examination for Working Adults for the MPH course before FY2021, please submit only a copy of your English score and undergo another screening.

If you have been approved in the past, please be sure to contact us by the deadline to confirm that you do not need to be re-approved.

To Qualify for the Entrance Examination

Q5. Please explain about the entrance examination.

As the requirements differ for each course, please check our website for information on entrance exams.

Q6. Can I view past tests?

Yes. You can view past tests for the International Health Development Course by clicking here [Past Tests].
* Please note that as the Tropical Medicine Course and the Health Innovation Course do not have any written exams, no past tests are available for viewing.

English Tests

Q7. Please explain about the foreign language tests.

TOEIC, TOEFL, and IELTS were used when selecting students for admission in 2018. Only results for tests taken within the two years up to the final day of the application period for admission will be accepted. Please check our website for further details.

Q8. I am not very good at English, so how should I conduct my studies?

After admission, lectures are given in English. It is worthwhile reading news or literature related to international and public health in advance. Also, supplementary classes in English communication will be held.

Financial Support

Q9. Are there any scholarships?

Yes. There are scholarships available from the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO), local governments, and various other scholarship organizations. Please see Nagasaki University’s website for further details.

Q10. Are there any tuition fee exemptions?

Yes. There is an exemption system for tuition fees. Please consult the [Tuition Waiver] page on the Nagasaki University website.

The Courses

Q11. What are the differences between the three courses?

The Tropical Medicine Course is a one year Master’s course for doctors, designed to cultivate research-minded clinicians in tropical medicine. Both the International Health Development Course and The Health Innovation Course are Master’s courses of two-years’ duration for medical and non-medical students. The International Health Development course will train practical experts in international cooperation and global health, and hold an eight-month internship in a low or middle-income country in the second year to nurture the skills necessary for the management of projects and organizations. On the other hand, although the Health Innovation course does not differ from the two-year MPH Master’s course in regards to accepting students with science or liberal arts backgrounds, this course will cultivate the knowledge required for hands-on research that is helpful in the field of international health and cooperation. It will train research-oriented professionals who can collaborate with other fields. For further details, please refer to the web page for each course.

Q12. I want to do the MPH. How does your school’s course differ from that of other universities?

Our school’s MPH curriculum fuses education with practical experience, especially in the compulsory eight-month practicum (including the internship) which focusses on developing practical skills in international health. For further details, please view the [International Health Development Course] web page.

Q13. What are the merits of admission to the School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health?

All three courses share several common modules, which makes it possible to exchange views with students from different fields and broaden your perspective. Furthermore, you can receive quality education through our cooperation with educational institutions, including the University of London, that conduct research, fieldwork and education at the forefront of global research.

Q14. I’m not sure whether to study for my MPH in Japan or another country?

The advantages of studying at the School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health are as follows: courses run jointly with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine can be taken; fieldwork can be conducted at Nagasaki University’s overseas research stations; students can build a network with researchers and experts in Japan; tuition fees and living costs when studying abroad are cheaper than the West; and a fulfilling experience can be gained from lectures conducted in English and additional classes to strengthen your English ability.

Q15. I’m confused as to whether it is better to have some medical certification before entering the school or to just enter with my non-medical bachelor’s degree?

Neither one nor the other is better,; however, to complete the International Health Development Course some knowledge of public health is required. As for the Tropical Medicine Course, admission requirements are that the student needs to be a doctor with two years or more clinical experience. Regarding the Health Innovation Course, it covers many areas not just one particular field of specialty.

Q16. Will I be able to keep up with the course if I come from a liberal arts background?

Yes. Success in the International Health Development Course and the Health Innovation Course is reflected in the individual student’s effort, and up until now students with non-medical bachelor degrees have studied and graduated from the school. Furthermore, these courses are conducted wholly in English and supplementary English language classes are taught by native speakers of English.

Q17. I want to learn about the classes in detail.

Please look at the “Courses” page on the school’s website found here [COURSES]

Q18. How do I decide upon my research?

Each course is different. After admission to the Tropical Medicine Course and the Health Innovation Course, students decide their research upon consultation with their supervisor; however, we recommend that students contact the professor they wish to study under in advance. As for the International Health Development Course, students decide their research after consulting with their supervisor.

Q19. How do I choose a supervisor?

It depends on the course. Upon admission to the Tropical Medicine Course and the Health Innovation Course, students choose their supervisor after consulting with a professor involved in the area they wish to research; however, we recommend that students contact the professor they wish to study under in advance. With regards to the International Health Development Course, students choose their supervisor after consulting with a professor involved in the area they wish to research.

Q20. I’m worried that after admission to the school I won’t be able to keep up with the lectures because of my English level?

For prospective students whose English scores have not met the specified criteria, we recommend the short-term English classes before admission, and the supplementary classes provided after entrance to the school.

Q21. I have a lots of experience working overseas, so can I shorten the term of my studies?

No, you cannot shorten the length of the Tropical Medicine Course, the Health Innovation Course, or the International Health Development Course; however, with the International Health Development Course, it is possible to change the country and/or make adjustments to the contents of the long-term practicum (including internship) depending on the period and content of your work experience.

Student Life

Q22. Is it difficult to work part-time while pursuing my studies?

Some students work on their days off; however, other students comment that they have no time for part-time work because of changes in lecture schedules and the demands of their studies.

Q23. Are there any dormitories?

Yes, there are dormitories for overseas students, but not for Japanese students. For further details, please check the Nagasaki University Liaison Center for International Education website.

Q24. How much are living costs?

According to students, rents for apartments and other living costs are slightly cheaper than in a big city.


Q25. Please tell me about career opportunities for medical and non-medical students after graduating.

As graduates of the Tropical Medicine Course are all doctors, they will take up employment in the medical field. Graduates of the International Health Development Course are active in a variety of fields such as working as an international health consultant, or being a member of international organizations like JICA, NPOs, and NGOs. In the case of non-medical graduates, their knowledge of public health enables them to engage smoothly in NGO public relations, advocacy, logistics, etc. The Health Innovation Course is a course to train researchers, so it is envisioned that many graduates will progress to the doctoral programme; however, it is also possible that they will get a research job in a company, etc.

Q26. When does job seeking commence?

For the International Health Course, job seeking takes place in the period after returning to Japan from the long-term overseas practicum and continues up to the student’s final graduation.


Q27. How much does the overseas practicum cost?

In principal, travel, accommodation, living, and research expenses, etc. are borne by the student. As expenses vary depending on the country and region, costs can range from 400, 000 Japanese Yen (JPY) to 800, 000 JPY. Furthermore, from the viewpoint of crisis management and to ensure safety, Nagasaki University subsidizes a part of the accommodation expenses etc. and lends an emergency contact phone to students.