Professor Hirotsugu Aiga
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsHuman Resources for Health, Health Information Systems, Food Security & Nutrition, Neglected Tropical Diseases, Emergency Assistance
SupervisionMasters ProgrammeDoctoral Programme
B. Eng, MSc, PhD
Research gate or Linked-in account links
School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health, Nagasaki University
NEKKEN, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University
- PhD. The University of Tokyo (Human Resources for Health), Tokyo, JAPAN.
- MSc. The University of Tokyo (Environmental Health), Tokyo, JAPAN.
- M.Eng. (ABD) Waseda University (Inorganic polymer chemistry), Tokyo, JAPAN.
- B.Eng. Waseda University (Functional polymer chemistry), Tokyo, JAPAN.
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Senior Adviser on Health and Nutrition, Tokyo, JAPAN.
- Ministry of Health, Maternal & Child Health Dept, Chief Adviser for MCH Project, Hanoi, VIETNAM.
- World Health Organization (WHO), HIV/AIDS Dept, Senior Epidemiologist, Geneva, SWITZERLAND.
- World Health Organization (WHO), Global Health Workforce Alliance, Coordinator, Geneva, SWITZERLAND.
- World Food Programme (WFP), Emergency Food Security Assessment Services, Senior Programme Adviser, Rome, ITALY.
- The George Washington University (GWU), School of Public Health & Health Services, Adjunct Professor, Washington DC, USA.
- Ministry of Health, Human Resource Development Specialist for HRH Project, Accra, GHANA.
- Engineering Consulting Firms Association (ECFA), Research Division, Director & Principal Researcher, Tokyo, JAPAN.
- International Federation of Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), Russian Far-East Delegation, Regional Logistic & Relief Delegate, Khabarovsk, RUSSIAN FEDERATION.
- International Federation of Red Cross & Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), Central Asian Regional Delegation, Regional Logistic & Relief Delegate, Almaty, KAZAKHSTAN.
- World Health Organization (WHO), Western Pacific Regional Office, Environmental Health Division, Research Officer, Manila, THE PHILIPPINES.
- Zorzor Rural Teachers Training Institute (ZRTTI), Science Dept, Chair, Fissebu, LIBERIA.
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government, Public High Schools, Science Teacher, Tokyo, JAPAN.
- Kitasato University, School of Medical Sciences, Sagamihara, JAPAN (Global health).
- The University of Tokyo, School of International Health, Tokyo, JAPAN (Global health).
- University of Geneva, School of Medicine, Geneva, SWITZERLAND (Health workforce development).
- The George Washington University (GWU), Washington DC, USA (Global health and health system).
- Yokohama National University, School of International Social Sciences, Yokohama, JAPAN (International development).
- Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, School of Agriculture, Tokyo, JAPAN (Food security policy).
- Zorzor Rural Teachers Training Institute (ZRTTI), Fissebu, LIBERIA (Calculus, chemistry, physics and child development).
- Japanese School of Accra, Accra, GHANA (Mathematics).
- Sunagawa Public High School, Tokyo, JAPAN (Chemistry and general science).
- Shinozaki Public High School, Tokyo, JAPAN (Chemistry).
- Health workforce development: Specialized in policy analysis on health workforce development. Managed, supervised, and advised on national health workforce policies and systems in Cambodia, DRC, Fiji, Ghana, Tonga, Vietnam and Vanuatu.
- Household food security and nutrition: Specialized in household food security measurement and nutrition surveys. Contributed to development of international guidelines for food security estimation. Designed, managed and conducted food security, nutrition, and mortality surveys in DRC, India, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique and Sudan.
- Epidemiology of infectious diseases: Specialized in epidemiology of diarrheal diseases and Neglected Tropical Diseases (e.g. Chagas disease and Buruli ulcer). Conducted epidemiologic studies in El Salvador, Ghana, Honduras and the Philippines.
- Maternal and child health: Specialized in home-based records (HBRs) for maternal and child health. Estimated the impact of HBRs on health seeking behaviors in Angola, Mozambique and Vietnam and conducted a review on HBR implementation realities.
- Health information systems: Specialized in both population-based and facility-based health information systems (HISs). Managed, supervised and advised on health management information systems (HMISs) and disease-specific information/surveillance systems in Ethiopia, Guatemala, Indonesia, Pakistan and South Africa.
The country/countries where you work currently
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- Kawakatsu Y, Sugishita T, Aiga H, Oruenjo K, Wakhule S, Honda S. Effectiveness of four interventions in improving community health workers’ performance in western Kenya: a quasi-experimental difference-in-differences study using a longitudinal data. Prim Health Care Res Dev. 2022; 23:e 20.
- Horii S, Nguyen CTM, Pham HTT, Amaike N, Ho HT, Aiga H. Effectiveness of a standard clinical training program in new graduate nurses’ competencies in Vietnam: A quasi-experimental longitudinal study with a difference-in-differences design. PLoS One. 2021; 16 (7) :e0254238.
- Aiga H, Abe K, Randriamampionona E, Razafinombana RA. Possible causalities between malnutrition and academic performances among primary school children: A cross-sectional study in rural Madagascar. BMJ Nutr Prev Health. 2021; 4 (1) 18-29.
- Aiga H, Nomura M, Langa, JPM, Mahomed M, Marlene R, Alage A, Trindade N, Buene D, Hiraoka H, Nakada S, Arinde E, Varimelo J, Chivale AJ. Spectrum of nutrition-specific and nutrition-sensitive determinants of child undernutrition: A multisectoral cross-sectional study in rural Mozambique. BMJ Nutr Prev Health. 2020; 3 (2) 320-338.
- Kawakatsu Y, Adesina AO, Kadoi N, Aiga H. Cost-effectiveness of SMS appointment reminders in increasing vaccination uptake in Lagos, Nigeria: A multi-centered randomized controlled trial. Vaccine. 2020; 38 (42) 6600-6608.
Having been bearing global health as one of practical sciences in mind, I worked at a variety of organizations both as a practitioner and as a researcher. Throughout my professional career, I have learned that practicing and researching are key two wheels of a vehicle that takes us to healthier and more productive world. My research interests are diverse, yet likely focused more on health system strengthening. I look forward to doing research with you not only on important global health agenda but also on neglected global health issues, for identifying their effective and feasible solutions in an evidenced-based manner.