A 6-month (April to September) part-time online course to teach key concepts of diseases that are especially prevalent in tropical and developing countries where resources may be limited. Students can attend live lectures during April-June and access lecture recordings and other materials in their own time through the online learning system during July to September according to their preference. The course includes most of the didactic sessions from the DTM&H course but does not include laboratory practical sessions or interactive clinical case discussions. Assessment is with an online multiple-choice exam at the end of September. Applications will open in October 2021. The course fee is ¥200,000 JPN.
Aims & objectives
An online course to teach health professionals key concepts of diseases that are especially prevalent in tropical and developing countries where resources may be limited.
Students will be able to:
- Have a good understanding of important tropical diseases and syndromes
- Compare and contrast the management of infectious diseases in different contexts including returning travelers
- Evaluate the evidence for health interventions in resource-limited settings
- Key concepts in tropical medicine
- Viral diseases
- Bacterial and fungal diseases
- Protozoa and helminth diseases
- Disease syndromes
- Disease vectors
- Maternal and child health
- Nutrition and anaemia
- Public health emergencies
- Travel medicine, migrant health
- Non-communicable diseases
- Surgery, trauma, snakebite
- Revision, exams
>> Note: this course does NOT include:
- Laboratory practical sessions (TropMed 2 module) or the practical sessions of the Zoology module.
- Case discussions from the Clinical Tropical Medicine Regional Module
- Certain interactive small group sessions such as Epidemiology group work
Healthcare professional such as medical doctor, nurse, physician assistant
(Target audience：Healthcare professional with a recognised medical qualification)
【English language requirements】
Good standard of written and spoken English (as per TMGH regulation)
Students can join live lectures via Zoom and self-study at home.
Course dates 2022:
April 1 to September 30
The course fee should be paid in full as indicated in the acceptance letter for admission.
How to apply
The application period currently closed
Register interest in future Nagasaki University tropical medicine courses here
A 10-week full-time tropical medicine course. Students attend the course in-person in Nagasaki, Japan. For further details see the course information page.
Philippines Tropical Medicine Course
A 2-week practical tropical medicine course in the Philippines. For further details see the course information page.
Key differences of tropical medicine courses
|Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H)||Certificate of Tropical Medicine (CTM)||Philippines Tropical Medicine Course|
|Intensity||Full time||Part time||Full time|
|Duration||10-weeks||6 months||2 weeks|
Examples of course content