Takeshi Tanaka Senior Assistant Professor
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsClinical Infectious Diseases, Infection Control and Prevention, Control of vascular permeability
SupervisionMasters ProgrammeDoctoral Programme
Personal/work Web page addresses
Research gate or Linked-in account links
・Infection Control and Education Center, Nagasaki University Hospital.
・The Japanese Society of Internal Medicine (Board Certified Member, Fellow).
・The Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases (Board Certified Member, Senior
・The Japanese Respiratory Society (Board Certified Member, Senior Fellow).
・The Japanese Society for AIDS Research.
・The Japanese Society for infection Prevention and Control.
・The Japanese Society of Chemotherapy.
・The Japanese Society for Tuberculosis and Nontuberculosis Mycobacteriosis.
・Tha Japan Society for Transplantation
・American Thoracic Society.
- May 2002- May 2003: Resident, Department of Infectious and Respiratory Diseases, Nagasaki University Hospital, Nagasaki, Japan.
- The Japanese Society of Internal Medicine (Board Certified Member, Fellow).
- June 2003- May 2004: Resident, Department of Internal Medicine,
The Japanese Red Cross Nagasaki Genbaku Hospital, Nagasaki,Japan.
- June 2004 – May 2005: Physician, Department of Respiratory Diseases,
Juzenkai Hospital, Nagasaki,Japan.
- June 2005-March 2006: Physician, Department of Respiratory Diseases, Nagasaki Kawatana Medical Center, Nagasaki, Japan.
- April 2006 – Sep 2011: ID and Chest Physician, Department of Infectious Diseases, Nagasaki University Hospital, Nagasaki, Japan.
- Oct 2011-Sep 2013: Affiliate Researcher (Henson Lab), National Jewish Health, Colorado, USA.
- Oct 2011-Sep 2013: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Vandivier Lab), Department of Pulmonary Sciences and Critical Care Medicine, University of Colorado, Colorado,USA.
- Oct 2013-March 2018 : Assistant Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases, Nagasaki University Hospital, Nagasaki, Japan.
- April 2018-August 2020 : Senior Assistant Professor, Infection Control and Education Center, Nagasaki University Hospital, Nagasaki, Japan.
- September 2020- Present : Associate Professor, Infection Control and Education Center, Nagasaki University Hospital, Nagasaki, Japan.
- Lecture on Infectious Diseases (3rd grade, School of Dentistry/4th grade, School of Pharmacy)
- Lectures on Infectious Diseases (2nd and 3rd grade medical students)
- TMGH: MTM / Diploma /TTM: PPE (personal protection equipment) infection control practical session
- Education and guidance for JICA Japan-Mexico trainees (Japan-Mexico Training Program)
- Member of Introduction and Training Team, member of Working Group for JICA, The Japan Disaster Relief Team (JDR), “Infectious Diseases Response Team”
- Control and regulation of vascular permeability in ARDS and septic shock.
- Epidemiological research of opportunistic infections and malignancy in HIV/AIDS in Japan.
The country/countries where you work currently
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- Shimizu K, Maeda H, Sando E, Fujita A, Tashiro M, Tanaka T, Izumikawa K, Motomura K, Morimoto K. Epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2 infection in nursing facilities and the impact of their clusters in a Japanese core city. J Infect Chemother. 28(7):955-961, 2022.
- Tanaka T, Mori M, Tashiro M, Izumikawa K. Impact of Plasma 5 Hydroxyindoleacetic Acid, a Serotonin Metabolite, on Clinical Severity in Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Front Med (Lausanne). 8:785409, 2021.
- Maeda H, Sando E, Toizumi M, Arima Y, Shimada T, Tanaka T, Tashiro M, Fujita A, Yanagihara K, Takayama H, Yasuda I, Kawachi N, Kohayagawa Y, Hasegawa M, Motomura K, Fujita R, Nakata K, Yasuda J, Morita K, Kohno S, Izumikawa K, Suzuki M, Morimoto K. Epidemiology of Coronavirus Disease Outbreak among Crewmembers on Cruise Ship, Nagasaki City, Japan, April 2020. Emerg Infect Dis. 27(9):2251-2260, 2021.
- Tanaka T, Oshima K, Kawano K, Tashiro M, Tanaka A, Fujita A, Tsukamoto M, Yasuoka A, Teruya K, Izumikawa K. Nationwide surveillance of AIDS-defining illnesses among HIV patients in Japan from 1995 to 2017. PLoS One. 16(8):e0256452, 2021.
- Tanaka T, Mori M, Sekino M, Higashijima U, Takaki M, Yamashita Y, Kakiuchi S, Tashiro M, Morimoto K, Tasaki O, Izumikawa K. Impact of plasma 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid, a serotonin metabolite, on clinical outcome in septic shock, and its effect on vascular permeability. Sci Rep. 11(1):14146, 2021.
Infectious disease specialists must deal with a wide variety of issues. My current responsibilities are to deal with severe infectious diseases, including emerging infectious diseases, in terms of medical care. At the same time, I am also involved in nosocomial infection control and the appropriate use of antimicrobial agents to control drug-resistant organisms (AST: Antimicrobial Stewardship Team). Clinical treatment of infectious diseases and infection control are two elements of the clinical practice of infectious diseases. I hope to convey the importance of this in the field of education.