Professor Noriyuki Nishida
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsVirology(Prion)
Personal/work Web page addresses
I was born in Fukuoka, Japan 1965, and studied medicine at Ryukyu University School of Medicine and finished Postgraduate course in Nagasaki University. Since 1995, I have studied about the most mysterious infectious agent, prion, in Japan, France, and US. From 2009, I am leading my prion research team as a professor in Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
Molecular medicine about prion diseases
- Our studies focus on drug-discovery, developing a new diagnostic method for prion diseases, and analysis of host-pathogen relationship.
- Recently, we have developed a new in vitro amplifying method of PrPSc (real-time Quaking Induce Conversion: RT-QuIC). We applied this amplification technique to detect small amounts of PrPSc in patient’s samples and established as a diagnostic test of human prion diseases.
The country/countries where you work currently
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- Biomarkers and diagnostic guidelines for sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Hermann P, Appleby B, Brandel JP, Caughey B, Collins S, Geschwind MD, Green A, Haïk S, Kovacs GG, Ladogana A, Llorens F, Mead S, Nishida N, Pal S, Parchi P, Pocchiari M, Satoh K, Zanusso G, Zerr I. Lancet Neurol. 2021 Mar;20(3):235-246. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(20)30477-4.
- Development of α-Synuclein Real-Time Quaking-Induced Conversion as a Diagnostic Method for α-Synucleinopathies. Nakagaki T, Nishida N, Satoh K. Front Aging Neurosci. 2021 Sep 28;13:703984. doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2021.703984. eCollection 2021.
- Formalin RT-QuIC assay detects prion-seeding activity in formalin-fixed brain samples from sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease patients. Dong TT, Akagi A, Nonaka T, Nakagaki T, Mihara B, Takao M, Iwasaki Y, Nishida N, Satoh K. Neurobiol Dis. 2021 Nov;159:105504. doi: 10.1016/j.nbd.2021.105504. Epub 2021 Sep 10.
- Liquid-liquid phase separation of full-length prion protein initiates conformational conversion in vitro. Tange H, Ishibashi D, Nakagaki T, Taguchi Y, Kamatari YO, Ozawa H, Nishida N. J Biol Chem. 2021 Jan-Jun;296:100367. doi: 10.1016/j.jbc.2021.100367. Epub 2021 Feb 2.
- Administration of FK506 from Late Stage of Disease Prolongs Survival of Human Prion-Inoculated Mice. Nakagaki T, Ishibashi D, Mori T, Miyazaki Y, Takatsuki H, Tange H, Taguchi Y, Satoh K, Atarashi R, Nishida N. Neurotherapeutics. 2020 Oct;17(4):1850-1860. doi: 10.1007/s13311-020-00870-1.
I specialize in prion disease, a 100% fatal infectious disease, which is said to be the most miserable disease for humankind. Prion encompasses various aspects including infectious protein, pathogens without genes, contagious dementia, amyloidosis, and zoonosis, which require cross-sectoral research approaches. The development of BSE relates to the problems of food safety, and many people may still remember this disease causing international issues in terms of import control. In the lectures, I plan to examine the meaning of the existence of “infectious protein” in pathogenic microorganisms through discussion, while learning the history of prion discovery and identification of the pathogen.