Professor Lay Myint Yoshida
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsPediatric Infectious Diseases, pneumonia, dengue, HIV drug resistance,, tropical infectious diseases
M.B.B.S., M.Med.Sc., Ph.D
Personal/work Web page addresses
Research gate or Linked-in account links
Pediatric Infectious Diseases Department, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University
- 2016～up to now Professor, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University
- 2010～2016 Asso.Professor, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University2006-2010: Assist.Professor, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University
- 1999-2006: Research Fellow, AIDS Research Center, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo
- 1994-1999: Senior Researcher, Department of Medical Research, Myanmar
- 1990-1994: Medical Doctor, Yangon General Hospital, Yangon, Myanmar<
Occasionally give lectures and supervise for MTM, PhD students
Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine reduced dosing schedule study in Nha Trang VietnamPediatric Acute Respiratory Infection Surveillance in central Vietnam
Population based cohort study on infectious diseases in Nha Trang, central Vietnam
Birth cohort study in Nha Trang, central Vietnam
Evaluation of Hib vaccine effect on pneumonia in Vietnam
HIV drug resistant studies in Vietnam, Thailand and Japan
The country/countries where you work currently
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- Satoh C, Toizumi M, Nguyen HAT, Hara M, Bui MX, Iwasaki C, Takegata M, Kitamura N, Suzuki M, Hashizume M, Dang DA, Kumai Y, Yoshida LM*, Kaneko KI. Prevalence and characteristics of children with otitis media with effusion in Vietnam. Vaccine. 2021 May 6;39(19):2613-2619.
- Miyakawa M, Yoshida LM*, Nguyen HT, Takahashi K, Le TH, Yasunami M, Ariyoshi K, Dang DA, Moriuchi H. Hepatitis B virus infection among pregnant mothers and children after the introduction of the universal vaccination program in Central Vietnam. Sci Rep. 2021 Apr 21;11(1):8676.
- Wang X, Li Y, Deloria-Knoll M, et al, Yoshida LM, Zar HJ, Campbell H, Nair H; Respiratory Virus Global Epidemiology Network. Global burden of acute lower respiratory infection associated with human metapneumovirus in children under 5 years in 2018: a systematic review and modelling study. Lancet Glob Health. 2021 Jan;9(1):e33-e43.
- Hasuwa T, Kinoshita F, Harada S, Nakashima K, Yoshihara K, Toku Y, Moriuchi H, Yoshida LM. Viral Etiology of Acute Lower Respiratory Tract Infections in Hospitalized Children in Nagasaki, a Regional City of Japan in 2013-2015. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2020 Aug;39(8):687-693.
- Noriko Kitamura, Thao T.T. Le, Lien T. Le, Luong D. Nguyen, Anh T. Dao, Thanh T. Hoang, Keisuke Yoshihara, Makiko Iijima, Tran M. The, Hung M. Do, Huy X. Le, Hung T. Do, Anh D. Dang, Mai Q. Vien, Lay-Myint Yoshida. Diphtheria Outbreaks in Schools in Central Highland Districts, Vietnam, 2015–2018. Emerging Infectious Diseases. www.cdc.gov/eid • Vol. 26, No. 3, 2020 Mar;26(3):596-600.
Severe pediatric infectious diseases such as pneumonia, diarrhea and dengue are the main cause of under-five mortality and morbidity globally. These can be prevented by preventive measures such as vaccines, and early recognition and treatment of risk groups. We conduct population based cohort and intervention studies to provide better preventive measure and treatment for sever pediatric infectious diseases in the tropics.