Associate professor Michiko Toizumi
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsPaediatrics, Neonatology, Epidemiology, Public Health, Virology
SupervisionMasters ProgrammeDoctoral Programme
Personal/work Web page addresses
Department of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Institute of Tropical Medicine (NEKKEN), Nagasaki University
I graduated from Kumamoto University Medical School, Japan and then had worked as a pediatrician for 8 years. Following that, I had studied tropical medicine and pediatric infectious diseases in the Master course of Tropical Medicine and in the Doctoral course in Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki University. After I received my PhD, I joined the Department of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, the Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University as an assistant professor in 2015.
Facilitator of Epidemiology-Statistics Course in School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health, Nagasaki University
Studies on pediatric infectious diseases in Vietnam:
Acute respiratory infections (incidence, viral/bacterial pathogens, risk factors)
Congenital infections (e.g.,rubella, CMV, Zika) and the effect on child development
Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine reduced dosing trial
The country/countries where you work currently
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- Michiko Toizumi, Motoi Suzuki, Hien Anh Thi Nguyen, Minh Nhat Le, Koya Ariyoshi, Hiroyuki Moriuchi, Masahiro Hashizume, Duc Anh Dang, and Lay-Myint Yoshida
Viral Acute Respiratory Illnesses in Young Infants Increase the Risk of Respiratory Readmission
The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, in press
- Imai, C., Toizumi, M., Hall, L., Lambert, S., Halton, K., Merollini, K.
A systematic review and meta-analysis of the direct epidemiological and economic effects of seasonal influenza vaccination on healthcare workers
(2018) PLoS ONE, 13 (6), art. no. e0198685
- Toizumi, M., Nguyen, G.T.H., Motomura, H., Nguyen, T.H., Pham, E., Kaneko, K.-I., Uematsu, M., Nguyen, H.A.T., Dang, D.A., Hashizume, M., Yoshida, L.-M., Moriuchi, H.
Sensory defects and developmental delay among children with congenital rubella syndrome
(2017) Scientific Reports, 7, art. no. 46483.
- Yoshihara, K., Le, M.N., Okamoto, M., Wadagni, A.C.A., Nguyen, H.A., Toizumi, M., Pham, E., Suzuki, M., Nguyen, A.T.T., Oshitani, H., Ariyoshi, K., Moriuchi, H., Hashizume, M., Dang, D.A., Yoshida, L.-M.
Association of RSV-A ON1 genotype with Increased Pediatric Acute Lower Respiratory Tract Infection in Vietnam
(2016) Scientific Reports, 6, art. no. 27856.
- Yamanashi, H., Ngoc, M.Q., Van Huy, T., Suzuki, M., Tsujino, A., Toizumi, M., Takahashi, K., Thiem, V.D., Anh, D.D., Anh, N.T.H., Tho, L.H., Maeda, T., Cox, S.E., Yoshida, L.-M., Ariyoshi, K.
Population-based incidence rates of first-ever stroke in central Vietnam
(2016) PLoS ONE, 11 (8), art. no. e0160665.
Please join us if you are interested in our researches on pediatric infectious diseases!