Ⅰ. Admission Policy
Nagasaki University School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health PhD Degree Programme and Nagasaki University-London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (NU-LSHTM) Joint PhD Degree Programme in Global Health seek students who meet the academic standards and criteria outlined below:
- Those who possess the ability to conduct research and high academic excellence (Knowledge)
- Those who wish to contribute to improvement in the field of global health through the Nagasaki University-LSHTM Joint PhD Programme (Mission / Attitude)
- Those who display the ability to collaborate successfully within multicultural/multidisciplinary groups (Sociability and Multicultural Integration)
Appendix for Shortlisting Method (◎; most prioritized, ○; prioritized)
|Possess the ability to conduct research and high academic excellence||Willingness to contribute to improvement in the field of global health through the Nagasaki University -LSHTM Joint PhD Programme||Display the ability to collaborate successfully within multicultural/multidisciplinary groups|
|NU-LSHTM Joint PhD degree programme in Global Health||Application documents||◎||◎||◎|
|English test score||◎|
Ⅱ. Entrance Requirement and Process
Summary of selection Process: Applicants who meet the entrance requirements and pass the preliminary shortlisting will be eligible to proceed for the interview
Intake Quota: Approx. 5 students
The normal minimum entrance qualification for registration is at least one of the following:
- A master’s degree in a subject appropriate to the course of study to be followed (Recommended)
- A qualification appropriate to the course of study to be followed, in medicine, dentistry or veterinary studies
An upper second-class honours degree from a UK or Japanese university equivalent, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard, in a relevant subject
Applicants should have evidence of an aptitude for research.
Desirable but not essential is knowledge of the Japanese language and anawareness of Japanese culture
- Preliminary Shortlisting Process
Period for applications From 28 November 2022 to 15 January 2023 Method Please register your information and upload the application documents to the link below for the preliminary shortlisting:
Shortlisting method Application documents Enquiries LSHTM Registry: Admissions@lshtm.ac.uk Note The result will only be notified to applicants who pass the Preliminary Screening around mid-February by email.
- Post shortlisting, Application Process
Application period Upon receipt of notification of being shortlisted (mid-Feb) until 17:30 (Japan Standard Time (JST)) 3 March 2023 Application method Complete the NU Application fee payment and submit a document as a proof of payment Selection method Application documents and interview
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed on 13 March 2023. Details of the interview will be notified once determined
Selection method Nagasaki University School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health, Administrative Office
- Incomplete application documents will not be accepted
- Making changes to application documentation after submission is not permitted
Any false information or documentation will result in disqualification, even after acceptance
- Application Fee: Applicants who pass the shortlisting process will be invited for an interview. These applicants are required to pay the Nagasaki University application fee.
* Prospective graduate students of Nagasaki University who wish to continue their studies on the Joint PhD Degree from October 2023 should send an email to: email@example.com before paying the application fee.
1) Application fee for shortlisted candidates: JPY 30,000
2) Application fee payment period: Upon receipt of notification of being shortlisted until 3 March 2023
3) Payment methods will be notified to applicants who are shortlisted
<Important Notice for your application>
- Applications will not be considered in the following cases: The applicant does not pay the application fee; the applicant fails to provide the transfer payment certificate on the Nagasaki University’s transfer payment certificate attachment slip; or submit the transfer payment certificate without the bank seal.
The application fee is not refundable except in the following circumstances: The application fee was paid but the application documents were insufficient or they accidently paid the application fee twice. In principle, the refund charge must be borne by the applicant and request for a refund must be made within 14 days from the last day of the application period.
Interviews will be held in 13 March 2023
Results for successful candidates (Notification of Successful candidates): JST 10am 24 March 2023
Results will be announced on the Nagasaki University’s website. A formal Letter of Offer will also be sent by email to successful applicants.
Enrollment Process to the Joint PhD programme: Successful applicants will receive enrollment procedure documents after the application results are announced.
Ⅲ. Additional Information
- Personal Data Protection Policy
- Personal information provided in the application package will be used only for the selection process.
- The personal information provided by successful applicants will be used in the admission process, and the enrolled students’ personal information will be used for procedures such as registration.
- Results of the entrance assessments and other personal information will be used in the shortlisting process in Nagasaki University for areas such as scholarship or loans in the first-year, admission fee exemptions, and tuition waivers.
- Personal information acquired through the application documents and entrance procedures may be used anonymously for statistical surveys and as research materials regarding admissions to the university.
- Personal information acquired through the application documents and entrance procedures, unless specified in Article 9 of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information Held by agencies such as the Independent Administrative Agencies, will not be distributed to third parties or used for purposes other than mentioned above.
In addition to the above policies, please refer to LSHTM’s website to see their Data
Security Export Control
Nagasaki University performs security export control based on “Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act” so that the education and study contents of foreign students’ research does not interfere with the upkeep of international peace and security. Please thereby note that the university may request applicants to change the education and study contents of their research. For further details, please make enquiries to each department. For further information please contact the email address below.
Any inquiries about the selection process should be directed to the address below. If you are making an inquiry by mail, make sure you include a self-addressed envelope with the appropriate postage for us to send a reply.
Nagasaki University School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health Administrative Office
1-12-4 Sakamoto, Nagasaki852－8523, Japan
TEL: (+81) 95-819-7583