Assistant Professor Tomonori Hoshi
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsMedical entomology (Mosquitoes and Ticks)
PhD (Medicine), MPH (International Public Health), BSc (Agriculture)
Personal/Word Web page addresses
ResearchGate or Linked-in account Link
Department of Eco-epidemiology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University
May 2018 – current, Assistant Professor, Department of Eco-epidemiology, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan.
Oct 2017 – Apr 2018, Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health
Oct 2016 – Sep 2017, Project Researcher at Nagasaki University, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Department of Eco-epimideology
May 2016 – Sep 2016, Project Researcher at Nagasaki University, Center for International Collaborative Research
Apr 2012 – Mar 2016, PhD, Graduate School of Biomedical Science, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan
Apr 2010 – Mar 2012, MPH, School of international health development, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan
Apr 2004 – Mar 2009, BSc, Subtropical zoology, The University of Ryukyus in Okinawa, Japan
Apr 2001 – Mar 2004, Kyoto municipal Horikawa high school, Academic Inquiry on Science program, Kyoto, Japan
Mar 2020 – May 2020, Consultant, WHO COVID-19 emergency response team, WPRO.
June 2018 – Jan 2019, Research Fellow, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine funded by Rutherford fellowship
No lecturing for MPH and PhD students. Only in-person tutoring is given to PhD students who work for medical entomology.
Mosquito and tick sampling tool development
The country/countries where you work currently
Japan (Mt. Konpira, Nagasaki), UK (RSPB Rainham Marshes), Malaysia (Sabah)
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- Hoshi, T., Brugman, V. A., Sato, S., Ant, T., Tojo, B., Masuda, G., Kaneko, S., Moji, K., Medlock, J.M., & Logan, J. G. (2019). Field testing of a lightweight, inexpensive, and customizable 3D-printed mosquito light trap in the UK. Scientific Reports, 9(1), 1–8.
- 出願人 星 友矩 捕虫器. 特開 2020-48549 2020年 4月 2日付公開
- Hoshi, T., Imanishi, N., Higa, Y., & Chaves, L. F. (2014). Mosquito biodiversity patterns around urban environments in south-central Okinawa Island, Japan. Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, 30(4), 260–267.
- Hoshi, T., Martin Banda, P., Foster Pemba, D., Sunahara, T., & Minakawa, N. (2013). Beyond buzzing: Mosquito watching stimulates malaria bednet use – a household-based cluster-randomized controlled assessor blind educational trial. Emerging Microbes and Infections, 2, e67.
- 星 友矩 (2017). はじめてのOpen Data Kitでフィールドワーク -スマホ・タブレットで調査をする人のために- 星出版 ISBN:978-4-9909743-0-5
Nature is my teacher.