Professor Koichi Izumikawa
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsInfectious Disease Medicine
Programme directorMasters Programme
Personal/work Web page addresses
Research gate or Linked-in account links
- Department of Infectious Diseases, Unit of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS)
- The American Society for Microbiology
- The Japanese Society of Internal Medicine
- The Japanese Respiratory Society
- The Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases
- The Japanese Society of Chemotherapy
- The Japanese Society of Medical Mycology
- 1994 – Nagasaki Univ. School of Medicine, awarded MD
- 2000 – Postgraduate School, Laboratory Medicine, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, awarded Ph.D.
- 2003 – Clinical Mycology Section, LCI/NIAID, National Institutes of Health
- 2005 – Assistant professor, Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nagasaki University School of Medicine
- 2009 – Molecular Microbiology Section, LCID/NIAID, National Institutes of Health
- 2009 – Assistant professor, Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- 2011 – Senior Assistant professor, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- 2013 – Present – Director, Nagasaki University Hospital Infection Control and Education Center
- 2014 – Present – Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases, Unit of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Subject at TMGH: Medical Microbiology III
- Message to the students: Emerging and re-emerging diseases such as the Ebola virus disease in West African countries and the Dengue fever in Japan are becoming real threats and we do not know what comes next. I am involved in the management of patients with various infectious diseases as well as infection control at the Nagasaki University Hospital. Extensively high skills, knowledge and preparation are required for deadly infectious disease control. I can offer chances to learn the practical management of these infectious diseases in this course and hope to see many students.
- Teaching at GSBS and Infectious Control and Education Center: Clinical Infectious Diseases Studies, Infectious Diseases Control and Infectious Diseases Studies
- Pathogenesis and drug resistance of fungi
- Development of new diagnosing tools and treatment
The country/countries where you work currently
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- Verweij PE, Ananda-Rajah M, Andes D, Arendrup MC, Brüggemann RJ, Chowdhary A, Cornely OA, Denning DW, Groll AH, Izumikawa K, Kullberg BJ, Lagrou K, Maertens J, Meis JF, Newton P, Page I, Seyedmousavi S, Sheppard DC, Viscoli C, Warris A, Donnelly JP.
International expert opinion on the management of infection caused by azole-resistant Aspergillus fumigatus.
Drug Resist Updat. 2015 Jul-Aug;21-22:30-40. doi: 10.1016/j.drup.2015.08.001. Epub 2015 Aug 7.
- Tashiro M, Izumikawa K, Ashizawa N, Narukawa M, Yamamoto Y. Clinical significance of methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci obtained from sterile specimens. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, 81(1), pp.71-75; 2015.
- Izumikawa K, Watanabe A, Miyashita N, Ishida T, Hosono H, Kushimoto S, Kohno S. Efficacy and safety of garenoxacin tablets on clinically diagnosed atypical pneumonia: Postmarketing surveillance in Japan. Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy, 20(9), pp.541-548; 2014.
- Takahashi T, Maeda K, Suzuki T, Ishido A, Shigeoka T, Tominaga T, Kamei T, Honda M, Ninomiya D, Sakai T, Senba T, Kaneyuki S, Sakaguchi S, Satoh A, Hosokawa T, Kawabe Y, Kurihara S, Izumikawa K, Kohno S, Azuma T, Suemori K, Yasukawa M, Mizutani T, Omatsu T, Katayama Y, Miyahara M, Ijuin M, Doi K, Okuda M, Umeki K, Saito T, Fukushima K, Nakajima K, Yoshikawa T, Tani H, Fukushi S, Fukuma A, Ogata M, Shimojima M, Nakajima N, Nagata N, Katano H, Fukumoto H, Sato Y, Hasegawa H, Yamagishi T, Oishi K, Kurane I, Morikawa S, Saijo M. The First Identification and Retrospective Study of Severe Fever With Thrombocytopenia Syndrome in Japan. J Infect Dis. 209(6), pp.816-827,2014
- Izumikawa K, Izumikawa KI, Takazono T, Kosai K, Morinaga Y, Nakamura S, Kurihara S, Imamura Y, Miyazaki T, Tsukamoto M, Yanagihara K, Hara K, Kohno S. Clinical features, risk factors and treatment of fulminant Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia: A review of the Japanese literature. Journal of Infection and Chemotherapy, 20(3), pp.181-185; 2014
Emerging and re-emerging diseases are becoming real threats in the world and we do not know what comes next as well as when it happens. I am involved in the management of patients with various infectious diseases as well as infection control in Nagasaki University Hospital. Extensively high skills, knowledge and preparation are required for deadly infectious disease. I can offer chances to learn the practical management of these infectious diseases in this course and hope to see many students.