Professor Junya Fukuoka
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsPathology
Programme directorMasters Programme
- Mar/1995 Graduation of Shiga University of Medical Science
- May/1995-May/1997 Resident: Laboratory of Medicine, Shiga University of Medical Science
- May/1997-Mar/2000 Medical Staff: 2nd Department of Pathology, Shiga University of Medical Science
- Apr/2000-Dec/2000 Assistant professor: 2nd Department of Pathology, Shiga University of Medical Science
- Dec/2000-Dec/2001 Visiting Clinician: Department of Laboratory, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale
- Dec/2001-Nov/2004 Visiting Fellow: Laboratory of Population Genetics, National Cancer Institute
- Nov/2002-Nov/2004 Visiting pathologist Department of Pulmonary and Mediastinal Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
- Dec/2004-Dec/2004 Visiting Clinician: Department of Laboratory, Mayo Clinic Scottsdale
- Jan/2005-Mar/2006 Associate professor, Laboratory of Pathology, Toyama University Hospital.
- Apr/2006-Oct/2009 Associate Chair, professor in clinic, Laboratory of Pathology, Toyama University Hospital
- Nov/2007-present CEO and founder, Pathology Institute, Co. Ltd. (Build inside University of Toyama)
- Nov/2009-2012 Professor and chair, Department of Surgical Pathology, Toyama University Hospital (Endowed Chair by Sakura Finetek Inc).
- Nov/2012-present Professor and chair, Department of Pathology, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Oct/2013-present Chair, Central Hospital Service Administration, Nagasaki University Hospital.
- Oct/2015- Chair, Nagasaki Educational and Diagnostic Center of Pathology (NEDCP)
- Oct/2015- Professor, Nagasaki University School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health (TMGH)
- FIELD OF INTEREST
- Pulmonary Pathology
- General Surgical Pathology
- Cancer research
- Digital Pathology
- Medical Education
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- 4. Hashisako M, Fukuoka J. Pathology of Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias. Clin Med Insights Circ Respir Pulm Med. 2016: 9(Suppl1):123-33
- 12. Kondoh Y, Johkoh T, Fukuoka J, et al. Broader criteria of undifferentiated connective tissue disease in idiopathic interstitial pneumonias. Respir Med. 2015;109(3):389-396.
- 14. Johkoh T, Fukuoka J, Tanaka T. Rare idiopathic intestinal pneumonias (IIPs) and histologic patterns in new ATS/ERS multidisciplinary classification of the IIPs. European journal of radiology. 2015;84(3):542-546.
- 24: Tabata K, Fukuoka J.
Histopathologic features of usual interstitial pneumonia and related patterns: what is important for radiologists? Semin Ultrasound CT MR. 2014 Feb;35(1):2-11.
- 25: Tabata K, Tanaka T, Hayashi T, Hori T, Nunomura S, Yonezawa S, Fukuoka J.
Ki-67 is a strong prognostic marker of non-small cell lung cancer when tissue heterogeneity is considered. BMC Clin Pathol. 2014 May 13; 14-23.
“Do you have a dream?” aving a right dream is a critical part to be a good leader. Hence, I would passionate to teach the importance of having own big dreams along with the pathological approach of global medicine. For global health project, what we focus right now are 1) education of diagnostic approach and ways of extracting ideas for research from routine practice to the pathologists from Asian countries, such as Myanmar, Malaysia, and Vietnam, 2) spreading of digital networks for pathology diagnosis and education to the developing countries, and 3) applying our unique tissue array methods to support difficulties of molecular analysis in developing countries. By providing the specific pathological expertise to the local health centers through above projects, I believe we can contribute to treat global patients.