Department of Global Health
The Three Policies of the PhD degree programme in Global Health
- Those who possess the fundamental knowledge and skills required to conduct academic and practical research at a doctoral degree level in the field of global health. (Knowledge level)
- Those who are willing to contribute to the progress of global health. (Achievement / Motivation level)
- Those who are sociable and international-minded, with the flexibility and ability to take on both a leadership role or member of an international team and cooperate with others from various fields after acquiring their doctoral degree. (Internationalism)
- Curriculum to select research area leading to credits in the Global Health seminar (2-3 modules):
a) Thorough examination of previous research;
b) Critical reading comprehension and skills for publishing research findings.
- Curriculum for preparing a research plan:
a) Careful exploration and determination of a meaningful, innovative research subject;
b) Seminars and tutorials on research plan preparation and protocol.
- Curriculum for acquiring research skills:
a) Seminars and tutorials on research skills;
b) Seminars and tutorials on Epidemiology and Group Health Science research skills;
c) Necessary basic knowledge and acquisition of research skills.
（Knowledge can also be supplemented by attending a Master’s class etc. if necessary）
- Doctoral Research Tuition:
a) Discuss research thesis and methods, tailor it to progress of doctoral research, and check results;
b) Supervise preparation of actual research thesis.
- Ability and knowledge to take an overhead view of global health in its entirety.
- Experience in international collaborative research or joint international programmes, and capable of leading research activities etc.
- Ability to promote scientific research in the global health field and publish results.
- Scientifically-sound knowledge and the ability to make an impact in the field.
TMGH seeks people who possess the advanced research skills necessary for engaging in highly specialized work as researchers in the global health field; people with a rich foundation of knowledge, who can independently conduct research activities and are capable of promoting international collaborative research and practical projects within the international field of global health.
Outline of the Department of Global Health
Duration: 3 years
Acquire all 16 credits for the compulsory subjects and pass the examination for the doctoral thesis and the final exam
This programme, in principle, is a curriculum for students to receive instruction while actually participating in international collaborative research etc. and they will be expected to acquire the following modules (seminars and tutorials).
Global Health Research Fieldwork (Compulsory・4 credits)
Draw up an appropriate, high-quality research plan for each research subject, and under the guidance of the lead research supervisor, hold discussions with the co-supervisor, and prepare a feasible research plan.
Global Health Special Research (Compulsory・12 credits)
Students carry out research based on their research plan, while being led by their lead supervisor, and helped by assistant supervisors and outside advisers, too. They will prepare a PhD thesis by taking into consideration research methods and study results based on scientific grounds, suitable for a Global Health doctoral degree.
The doctoral course is drawn up into a research-led course and since it is an interdisciplinary area called Global Health, the faculty members of the Graduate School will be consolidated into the three areas of “Tropical Medicine”, “International Health Development” and “Health Innovation”, with the lead supervisor being decided according to the research theme of the student. Furthermore, since Global Health is interdisciplinary as mentioned above, two faculty members who specialize in fields other than the lead supervisor are allocated as assistant supervisors, and team supervision is conducted by the three members of the academic staff.
Offering world class level tuition
We are in full partnership with LSHTM, and invite prominent researchers and faculty members from within Japan and overseas to implement the world’s highest standard of doctoral level education and research guidance.
In particular, the epidemiology and statistics field of LSHTM is composed of the world’s top faculty members and educational materials. This graduate course has invited LSHTM epidemiology and statistics team as a team to Nagasaki, based on the academic exchange agreement, and many students are taking lectures, having overcome the obstacles to master’s, doctoral and (post)graduate learning.