Associate Professor Tansy Edwards
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsBiostatistics, Clinical trials, Epidemiology
MMATH. MSC, PhD
Personal/work Web page addresses
EPH at LSHTM
I am a biostatistician with a focus on the control and epidemiology of infectious diseases, in particular, the evaluation of treatment and intervention strategies for neglected diseases, emerging infectious diseases and outbreaks.
I am a member of the International Statistics and Epidemiology Group at LSHTM: https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/research/centres-projects-groups/mrc-international-statistics-and-epidemiology-group
At LSHTM, I am a co-organiser of Analysis and Design of Research Studies, a Core module for MSc students in the Faculty of Infectious Tropical Diseases. I am also a co-organiser of the Masters thesis program for the Distance Learning MSc in Epidemiology. I teach on a variety of modules for two Distance Learning MSc courses (Clinical Trials and Epidemiology). I have developed teaching materials and delivered lectures for short courses at international collaborating institutions on statistical methods and clinical trials.
At Nagasaki University, I teach Statistics and Epidemiology to Masters and PhD students
Health policy making in LMICs, particularly in Southeast Asia; access to health care for underserved population groups; health technology uptake; health seeking behaviour.
The country/countries where you work currently
Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- Adaken C, Scott JT, Sharma R, et al. Ebola virus antibody decay-stimulation in a high proportion of survivors. Nature 2021; 590(7846): 468-72.
- Edwards T, White LV, Lee N, et al. Effects of comorbidities on quality of life in Filipino people with tuberculosis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2020; 24(7): 712-9.
- Cox SE, Edwards T, Faguer BN, et al. Patterns of non-communicable comorbidities at start of tuberculosis treatment in three regions of the Philippines: The St-ATT cohort. PLOS Global Public Health 2021; 1(11): e0000011.
- Salam AP, Cheng V, Edwards T, Olliaro P, Sterne J, Horby P. Time to reconsider the role of ribavirin in Lassa fever. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 2021; 15(7): e0009522.
- Watson-Jones D, Kavunga-Membo H, Grais RF, et al. Protocol for a phase 3 trial to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of a heterologous, two-dose vaccine for Ebola virus disease in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. BMJ open 2022; 12(3): e055596.
Link to other publications