Assistant Professor Akira Endo
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsInfectious disease epidemiology, infectious disease modelling
SupervisionMasters ProgrammeDoctoral Programme
Personal/work Web page addresses
Research gate or Linked-in account links
Visiting Research Fellow, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
- Assistant Professor, School of Tropical Medicine and Global Health, Nagasaki University, 2022–present
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Overseas Research Fellow (Visiting), London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, 2021–present
- PhD. Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. 2021.
- MD & BSc. Faculty of Medicine, The University of Tokyo. 2017.
Infectious disease modelling to improve epidemiological understanding of disease outbreaks and to optimize control strategies
The country/countries where you work currently
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- Endo A, Murayama H, Abbott S, Ratnayake R, Pearson CAB, Edmunds WJ, Fearon E, Funk S. Heavy-tailed sexual contact networks and the epidemiology of monkeypox outbreak in the global outbreak, 2022. Science. 2022:eadd4507. doi: 10.1126/science.add4507
- Endo A; CMMID COVID-19 Working Group, Uchida M, Liu Y, Atkins KE, Kucharski AJ, Funk S. Simulating respiratory disease transmission within and between classrooms to assess pandemic management strategies at schools. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2022;119(37):e2203019119. doi:10.1073/pnas.2203019119
- Endo A, Uchida M, Hayashi N, Liu Y, Atkins KE, Kucharski AJ, Funk S. Within and between classroom transmission patterns of seasonal influenza among primary school students in Matsumoto city, Japan. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2021;118(46):e2112605118. doi:10.1073/pnas.2112605118
- Endo A; Centre for the Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases COVID-19 Working Group, Abbott S, Kucharski AJ, Funk S. Estimating the overdispersion in COVID-19 transmission using outbreak sizes outside China. Wellcome Open Res. 2020;5:67. doi:10.12688/wellcomeopenres.15842.3
- Endo A*, Uchida M, Kucharski AJ, Funk S. Fine-scale family structure shapes influenza transmission risk in households: Insights from primary schools in Matsumoto city, 2014/15. PLoS Comput Biol. 2019;15(12):e1007589. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1007589
Compared with other types of diseases, infectious diseases are unique in that protecting an individual from a disease also means protecting other people by reducing their risk of exposure to the pathogen. This “interdependency” makes the control of infectious disease outbreaks an important social agenda. My current research interests include disease spread within and across households/schools/workplaces, improving vaccine evaluation methodologies and optimal control strategies.