Visiting Professor Masahiko Hachiya
Speciality / Research theme / KeywordsInfectious Disease Epidemiology, Vaccine Preventable Diseases, Pediatrics
SupervisionFaculty of Joint Graduate School of International Health Development course
MD, MPH, PhD
I obtained the degree of medical doctor in 1989 and PhD in 2000 from Toho University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan. I obtained my Master of Public Health at Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, United States, in 2004.
I am a pediatrician and Director, Division of Global Health Policy and Research, National Center for Global Health and Medicine (NCGM), Japan. I lead research programs in seroepidemiology of vaccine preventable diseases in Southeast Asian countries and evaluates immunization programs. I mainly worked in Bhutan, P. R. China, Lao PDR, Mongolia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, and Vietnam in the field of routine immunization, polio eradication, and supplementary immunization activities.
I am a member of the National Verification Committee (NVC) for measles and rubella elimination in Japan since 2013, and contributed the country successfully verified as measles free by WPRO in 2015.
Five MOST IMPORTANT/INTERESTING recent publications
- Okabayashi H, Komada K, Kidokoro M, Kitamura T, Miyano S, Ito T, Phounphenghak K, Pathammavong C, Murano K, Nagai M, Mori Y, Komase K, Xeuatvongsa A, Takeda M, Hachiya M. Seroprevalence of mumps before the introduction of mumps-containing vaccine in Lao PDR: results from a nationwide cross-sectional population-based survey. BMC Res Notes. 2019; 12: 155.
- Nozaki I, Hachiya M, Kitamura T. Factors influencing basic vaccination coverage in Myanmar: secondary analysis of 2015 Myanmar demographic and health survey data. BMC Pub Health. 2019; 19: 242.
- Kitamura T, Bouakhasith V, Phounphenghack K, Pathammavong C, Xeuatvongsa A, Norizuki M, Okabayashi H, Mori Y, Machida M, Hachiya M. Assessment of temperatures in the vaccine cold chain in two provinces in Lao People’s Democratic Republic: a cross-sectional pilot study. BMC Res Notes. 2018; 11: 261.
- Hachiya M, Miyano S, Mori Y, Vynnycky E, Keungsaneth P, Vongphrachanh P, Xeuatvongsa A, Sisouk T, Som-Oulay V, Khamphaphongphane B, Sengkeopaseuth B, Pathammavong C, Phounphenghak K, Kitamura T, Takeda M, Komase K. Evaluation of nationwide supplementary immunization in Lao People’s Democratic Republic: Population-based seroprevalence survey of anti-measles and anti-rubella IgG in children and adults, mathematical modelling and a stability testing of the vaccine. PLoS ONE. 2018 29; 13: e0194931
- Miyakawa M, Shimizu T, Nguyen Van Dat, Phung Thanh, Pham Thi Phuong Thuy, Nguyen Thi Hoang Anh, Nguyen Huu Chau, Matsushita Y, Kajio H, Vien Quang Mai, Hachiya M. Prevalence, perception and factors associated with diabetes mellitus among the adult population in central Vietnam: a population-based, cross-sectional seroepidemiological survey. BMC Public Health 2017 5; 17: 298.